Sunday, September 15, 2013

Training for the Richmond 8k (2013)

If you haven't noticed from the increase in running posts lately, even after the Charlottesville Women's 4 Miler, I'm training for another race. On November 16th, Richmond will host a marathon, half-marathon, and 8k. Joey is doing the half-marathon, which will be his second. I decided to sign up for the 8k (5 miles). I like having a purpose to my running, so I looked around for a training plan. I decided to do Runkeeper's 10k training plan - this is a training plan I've started and stopped a few times now, since doing my first (and only) 10k last spring. I decided to modify it slightly, mostly since the race date is before the 16 week training plan ends. Since I can already run 5 miles, I chose this plan since it will push me a little harder, which will hopefully improve my overall pace and endurance. I have my modified plan below, in case anyone is interested in trying it out. This plan requires 4 days a week of running (albeit some are light days), so I'm definitely not going to be able to do all of it. It's just nice having a set structure to my running, and include different tempo runs so I'm not doing the same thing every time. My plan is to continue the training plan once I complete the 5 miler, and hopefully find a 10k to do soon after.


No comments:

Post a Comment