Monday, September 15, 2014

Awesome Pancakes (with or without blueberries)

Joey had frisbee practice Saturday morning, and I asked what I could make for him once he got back. He declared that he wanted pancakes. I decided this would be the perfect opportunity to test out our new trick for substituting greek yogurt for buttermilk. I knew I wanted blueberries in my pancakes, but he preferred to have them plain. They turned out so so well, and I will make these again and again. I love the amount of pancake batter this recipe gave us - it was the perfect amount for me to have 2 medium pancakes, and for Joey to have 2 large pancakes. If you want more than that, just double or triple the recipe!


Note: we were completely out of almond milk, otherwise I would have used 1/2 cup milk to mix with the 1/2 cup greek yogurt. If you have milk on hand, feel free to use that. Otherwise, I really liked the flavored creamer cut with water. We had hazelnut creamer, but any flavor would work well (or just plain half and half).

Recipe: Awesomely Fluffy Pancakes
From: Working Out and Eating In Original
Yield: 4-5 pancakes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 tbsp flavored creamer, brought up to 1/2 cup with water (or 1/2 cup milk)
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 egg
nonstick cooking spray
blueberries (optional)
pancake syrup or maple syrup for serving

Directions:
Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. In a liquid measuring cup with a spout, whisk together the greek yogurt, creamer and water (or milk) until smooth. Add in the melted (and cooled) butter, mix to combine. Add in the egg, and mix well so the egg is beaten. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, and gently mix until no flour streaks remain.
Spray a nonstick medium pan with nonstick cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot, spoon about 1/3-1/2 cup of pancake batter onto the pan into a circular shape. Add a handful of blueberries, pressing them in to the batter so they are level with the top, if desired. Once bubbles have formed on the pancake surface, and the bottom is golden brown, flip over. It should take 2-3 minutes per side.
Continue with the rest of the batter, re-spraying the pan between pancakes. Keep the pancakes warm in a 200 F oven, or covered with foil.
Serve with extra blueberries on top and syrup.



Joey made me some scrambled eggs to go with my pancakes :)


Seriously, such a delicious breakfast



I made these again, about 2 months later, without blueberries. This meant I could put lots of strawberries on top :)

No comments:

Post a Comment